2006/01/19

Say No to Space Opera

By far the commonest kind of science fiction, in books and on TV, is space opera, which is based around the idea that interstellar travel is common. Usually there are "galactic empires" and so on.

Well, forgive me for being pedantic, but the whole idea is so damned hokey, I just can't bear it. So, please, sci-fi programme-makers, I'm begging you now to stop this nonsense.

And don't tell me it's even remotely plausible. The nearest planets to Earth are multiple light years away, and since faster-than-light travel is impossible, any trip between planets on different solar systems would take years, if not decades. Neither trade nor government can go on across such distances.

Assuming (optimistically) that you can accelerate to near lightspeed and slow down again quickly without destroying the occupants, a round trip to the nearest planet would still take years, from the standpoint of those at either end. There's nothing worth trading over such distances. Nor is it possible to govern a place remotely at such distances, or even to maintain a friendly correspondence. Therefore, any colony would have to be entirely self-sufficient and self-governing. There's no advantage to the people of Earth in going to the expense of setting up such a colony, except in the event of a threat to the very survival of Earth as a habitable planet.


Here are some reasons why a galactic empire based on trade isn't an option:


So, galactic, never mind intergalactic, trading empires are impossible. Of course, impossibility is not a reason why something can't be allowed to happen in fiction, but the central conceit of sci-fi is that it is scientifically plausible. Let's have some more original ideas in sci-fi.

Comments:
Sooo.... not a Star Wars fan? I didn't know there were a lot of Space Operas. What about Red Dwarf??? Dune?? Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? I'm curious as to what work of speculative fiction spurred this particular entry :)
 
What particular work brought you to write this? :P I've been looking at a few of your entries and they are really interesting and entertaining - but one thing I really noticed is all these spam comments! I'm new to blogging and didn't know such an atrocity existed. I find this disturbing - what do you think?
 
lol - I think I just figured it out, do you get paid? (one of those "make money with your Blog ads) - I think I also posted twice on accident - didn't notice you had to approve these - so obviously it doesn't just start happening to you and isn't "spam" in the purest sense. As an American, advertising and "spam" type things begin to infest every inch of space that is even suspected of having my attention, so I'm kind of touchy (is it like that in the UK too?). Anyway, sorry for weird posts, feel free to publicly embarass me if you want <3
 
Dear disgruntled,

I hadn't noticed I could delete spam comments. Silly me. The dratted things are gone now.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]